Sunday 17 February 2008

A Longer Than Expected Day

So I flew out of Lethbridge yesterday and eventually made it to our fine national capital. The plane out of Lethbridge was an 18 seater- two small rows of 9. It was windy yesterday when we took off, and beginning to snow in Calgary so it was a rough ride. The view was neat, but I felt bad for the guy next to me who must have been quite certain I would retch on him during the landing; I'll admit I almost had to use my little paper bag. I was hoping for a less eventful flight from Calgary to Ottawa, and once we actually got it the air I guess it was just a run of the mill flight. I watched Elizabeth: The Golden Age and the beginning of Micheal Clayton. The new movie system is great- each person has their own touch screen and chooses not only what to watch, but when. I could pause, rewind, or whatever to my movie selection which was very convenient (no bathrom rush at the end of a movie because we all began at differnt times). Also good, the seat Historica booked my was one of the ones at the very front of the economy cabin, so I had oodles of leg room; I had to stretch to get my toe in first class. The only downside was not being able to store my carry on the floor in front of me for easy access.

Now for the trouble spots, soon after we first boarded the plane they revealed to us that they were having technical difficulties and would need to "reboot the plane like a home computer". Well, the turning off worked, but not so much the turning back on. We had no heat so they blew hot air on the plane with big hoses which helped somewhat, but eventually they admitted defeat and said, "sorry folks, this plane isn't going to work and we don't have the spare bit we need, so get off and hopefully we'll get you a different one." So we got off, and waited, and they ruslted up a new plane, and we waited, and finally we re-boarded and took off 2 hours later than originally planned.

Ottawa is quite a bit colder than Lethbridge was when I left- a plus four to minus fifteen drop; but I hear Lethbridge is back in the cold today. I haven't taken any pictures yet, but I am pleases to announce that tomorrow's schedule has "skating on the Rideau" for one of the evening options so I am very excited about that!

No comments: